It’s easy to try to do it all when you work from home. It can be hard to draw the line between work and your personal life. Here are ten tips to help you work more effectively at home. We all work from home at Heels Down Media so these are proven and tested on a daily basis.
1. Prioritize everything in your life each day. If it doesn’t have to be done that day, don’t put it on your list. That includes laundry.
2. Have a short to-do list. Only pick the top few items that must be done that day and start “winning” by accomplishing those tasks. Don’t overwhelm yourself with a long list of things to accomplish.
3. Block off time that is dedicated work time. Don’t try to fit anything else in during this time.
4. Turn off all unnecessary notifications from social media and other apps. When you are in your dedicated work time, put your phone on “do not disturb” except for important numbers.
5. Have a dedicated workspace in your home that is free of distraction.
6. Sacrifice the right things. Decide what you are willing to sacrifice in your personal life and what is too important for work to interfere with.
7. Set boundaries in your business that save you time. Can you do Skype meetings instead of face-to-face meetings to cut out travel time? Can you limit the number of revisions of work you do for a client or charge for extra revisions?
8. Use downtime wisely. Waiting on a document to upload? Throw a load of laundry in the wash.
9. Say no. If you try to do everything, you can’t do any of it well. Focus on the projects that are important and say no to the rest.
10. Learn as you go. Try different ideas and see what works best for you, and be flexible as your priorities change.